Increasing employee performance with David James
David James joins the show to discuss the potential of collaborative learning, and the misconception that it is more difficult than other approaches to digital learning. Tune in as David shares examples of collaborative learning in practice, why collaborative learning is often the best solution in L&D, and how to use technology so it can help with performance and results.
About David James
David James has worked in People Development for more than 20 years, most notably as Director of Talent, Learning & Organisation Development for The Walt Disney Company across Europe, the Middle East & Africa. His specialism is in contemporary L&D practices and works with clients to develop and implement their digital learning strategies. David is the Chief Learning Officer at 360 Learning and host of the Learning and Development podcast. He also writes articles and speaks about L&D at conferences and events.
- L&D teams often focus on providing learning, but not necessarily to affect performance and results. David demonstrates how collaborative learning is the best solution – but it is still being overlooked.
- Collaborative approaches are often seen as hard because there is an expectation from stakeholders that learning is delivered
- Organisations must identify the critical points of failure that their people are experiencing first, rather than just as a learning need, as a way to ensure that engagement is sustained, as well as help people to achieve the objectives of the organisation. Use data-driven approaches to help solve performance problems.
Segmented time stamps:
- 01:55 The challenges of L&D delivery
- 03:13 Overcoming some of obstacles with collaborative learning
- 05:59 The link between collaborative learning and performance outcomes
- 09:57 Performance consulting for L&D and overcoming blockers
- 14:48 Examples of good collaborative learning
- 22:53 Embracing the upfront efforts with collaborative learning and development
- 24:37 Leveraging technology to improve leadership and management skills
Links from the podcast:
- Connect with David on LinkedIn
- Check out 360 Learning
- Check out Looop by 360Learning
- Listen to the Learning and Development podcast
- Listen to the interview with Sebastian Tindall