What is wrong with digital learning with Marco de Rossi
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or RSS
In this episode of the Learning While Working Podcast, Marco de Rossi discusses the current issues with digital learning in workplaces, such as the misalignment between how we naturally learn as lifelong learners and how organisations push out content-driven learning. Tune in as we delve into social learning, synchronous vs. asynchronous activities, and how Generative AI is proving to be a valuable tool for L&D experts.
About Marco de Rossi
Marco de Rossi is the CEO of WeSchool, a learning platform that helps teams launch effective training in a user-friendly environment no matter their technical skills.
- The challenges in digital learning in workplaces: there is a misalignment between how people learn in workplaces and how they naturally learn as lifelong learners. Learning is often seen as a buzzword, but not integrated into daily behaviours, so there needs to be a shift where learning becomes the responsibility of every team, not just HR.
- The people-centric approach: learning should be woven into everyday tasks and the focus should be on building communities and fostering social learning.
- Balancing cost-effectiveness and effectiveness: on-demand, self-paced learning may be cheaper, but it is not always effective. Cohort-based models and synchronous structures are important for critical learning experiences, like onboarding. Think about how a mix of cost-effective and quality-focused solutions can coexist.
- The role of AI can be a valuable tool for supporting learning design skills. E.g. conversational generative AI makes it easier for everyone to design engaging learning experiences.
Segmented time stamps:
- 00:00 Introduction
- 01:50 What is wrong with digital learning?
- 03:21 Marco’s vision of what great digital learning looks like
- 06:27 Why self-paced learning is not always the best solution
- 08:19 Conversational generative AI
- 11:16 The importance of instructional design skills
- 15:13 Adaptive learning
- 18:00 AI make it easier for more people to access learning experiences
- 19:23 Overcoming the current problems of digital learning
Links from the podcast:
- Connect with Marco de Rossi on LinkedIn
- Visit WeSchool
- Learn more about WeShool by watching this video
- Read Robin blog post on What would happen if digital learning were more expensive than face-to-face training?