The impact of Generative AI on the evolution of workplace learning with David James
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or RSS
Chief Learning Officer at 360Learning, David James joins the show to share his expertise and insights in Generative AI. David sheds light on why Generative AI is not simply a shortcut to faster and cheaper courses, but rather a disruptive force. He also talks about reinventing the learning process, the role of reflection, and how to not make your job redundant.
David James is CLO at 360Learning and host of The Learning & Development Podcast. He has worked in People Development for more than 20 years, most notably as Director of Talent, Learning & OD for The Walt Disney Company across Europe, the Middle East & Africa. David also writes articles and speaks about L&D at conferences and events, is a member of the CIPD L&D Advisory Board; and teaches on the CIPD Level 5 Digital & Blended Learning programme.
- The big risk of relying solely on AI for producing course content is that it might render learning and development redundant. Instead, David encourages professionals to embrace the unique value they bring to address specific skills gaps in their organisation.
- Administrative tasks, be gone! Generative AI streamlines the learning experience by taking care of the administrative aspects, allowing educators and learners to focus more on effectively addressing real organisational challenges. By using internal data sets, Generative AI can help tackle the root of my performance problems.
- It's about the learning process. Instead of relying solely on delivering information, the emphasis should be on enhancing the learning journey through practice, reflection, and behaviour change.
Segmented time stamps:
- 00:00 AI is the path to making courses faster and cheaper. Doing this will make you redundant.
- 01:38 What does Generative AI mean for L&D in the future?
- 05:08 How Generative AI can help us improve the actual learning process
- 11:03 Viewing AI as a co-pilot
- 13:27 Distinguishing what L&D is
- 17:18 What will be talking about AI in 10 years time?
- 21:38 David’s main piece of advice for leveraging Generative AI
Links from the podcast:
- Connect with David on LinkedIn
- Find out more about Learning360
- Read David’s article on What Future Does Generative AI Signal For L&D?