The role of Chat GPT in modern learning design with Megan Torrance
Subscribe using your favourite podcast player or RSS
In this episode of the Learning While Working Podcast, Megan Torrance joins the show to share what she is learning about using Chat GPT. We focus on using Chat GPT to enhance the learning experience itself, and just using AI to generate content.
About Megan Torrance
Megan Torrance is CEO and founder of TorranceLearning, which helps organisations connect learning strategy to design, development, data, and ultimately performance. Megan has more than 25 years of experience in learning design, deployment, and consulting.
- Chat GPT can act as an assistant for learning designers. It aids in structuring content and generating examples, particularly when subject matter experts may tire of providing numerous case examples. As a result, it helps designers craft more thorough and comprehensive learning materials.
- In the context of medical education, AI is employed to provide detailed feedback on learners' responses to case scenarios. This feedback is compared against expert responses to provide meaningful insights to learners. However, it's crucial to ensure that the AI never gives direct medical advice – the final decision must always be left up to the learner.
- Inform learners if the feedback they're receiving is AI-driven. This transparency ensures that learners understand the nature and source of their feedback and approach it with a degree of scepticism, especially in sensitive areas like medical education.
Segmented time stamps:
- 00:00 Start exploring AI but be careful
- 01:11 What are some of the ways that ChatGPT can be used by learning designers?
- 02:40 Taking a simple approach
- 07:39 Using AI in complicated areas in medical education and legal training
- 10:46 Other ways AI is being used to put in a learning experience
- 14:44 Using ChatGPT as an assistant
- 16:46 Mitigating bias in AI
- 18:37 Megan’s greatest general advice for learning designers in using ChatGPT
Links from the podcast:
- Connect with Megan on LinkedIn
- TorranceLearning’s Website
- Download Megan’s one-page practitioner's guide job aid to using ChatGPT
- Watch a recording of the ChatGPT Driven Instructional Design: Dreams, Results, and Horrors webinar